Johann Leopold, Hereditary Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
|Hereditary Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha 22|
Duke of Saxony
|Born||(1906-08-02)2 August 1906|
Callenberg Castle, Coburg, Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Germany
|Died||4 May 1972(1972-05-04) (aged 65)|
|Spouse||Feodora von der Horst |
Maria Theresia Reindl
|Issue||Princess Caroline Mathilde|
Prince Ernst Leopold
Prince Peter Albert
|House||Saxe-Coburg and Gotha|
|Father||Charles Edward, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha|
|Mother||Princess Victoria Adelaide of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg|
Johann Leopold, Hereditary Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (in German: Johann Leopold William Albert Ferdinand Victor; 2 August 1906 – 4 May 1972) was the eldest son of Charles Edward, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, and Princess Victoria Adelaide of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.
Johann Leopold was born 2 August 1906 at Callenberg Castle in Coburg as the eldest son of Charles Edward, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, and Princess Victoria Adelaide of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.
Charles Edward hoped to arrange a marriage between Prince Johann Leopold and Princess Juliana, heir presumptive to his first cousin Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands. The match never materialized, with Charles Edward blaming his "useless" son.
Johann Leopold's first wife was Feodora Marie Alma Margarete, Baroness von der Horst (1905–1991), who divorced Wolf Sigismund, Baron Pergler von Perglas, in 1931. They married morganatically on 9 March 1932. The prince was forced to cede his own succession rights at the time of the marriage. The couple had three children and were divorced on 27 February 1962. His second wife was Maria Theresa Elizabeth Reindl (1908–1996), whom he married morganatically on 3 May 1963. They had no children.
The Prince had three children by his first wife, all barred from the succession of the duchy of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, but not barred from the succession of the United Kingdom nor the Dukedom of Albany.
|By Baroness Feodora von der Horst|
|Caroline Mathilde Adelheid Sibylla Marianne Erika Prinzessin von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha||5 April 1933; Hirschberg, Thuringia|
|Ernst Leopold Prinz von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha||14 January 1935; Hirschberg, Thuringia|
|Peter Albert Friedrich Josias Prinz von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha||12 June 1939; Dresden|
|Ancestors of Johann Leopold, Hereditary Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha|
- ^ Urbach, Karina (2015). Go-Betweens for Hitler. Oxford: Oxford University Press. p. 178. ISBN 978-0191008672.
- King George IV
- Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany
- King William IV
- Prince Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn
- King Ernest Augustus of Hanover
- Prince Augustus Frederick, Duke of Sussex
- Prince Adolphus, Duke of Cambridge
- Prince Octavius
- Prince Alfred
- Prince William Frederick, Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh
- Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and Avondale
- King George V
- Prince Alexander John of Wales
- Alfred, Hereditary Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
- Prince Arthur of Connaught
- Prince Charles Edward, Duke of Albany and of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
- Prince George William of Hanover
- Prince Christian of Hanover
- Prince Ernest Augustus, Duke of Brunswick
- King Edward VIII
- King George VI
- Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester
- Prince George, Duke of Kent
- Prince John
- Alastair, 2nd Duke of Connaught and Strathearn
- Johann Leopold, Hereditary Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
- Prince Hubertus of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
- Prince Ernest Augustus of Hanover
- Prince George William of Hanover
Princes that lost their title and status or did not use the title are shown in italics.