Wednesday (TV series)
|Genre||Comedy horror 22|
|Based on||Characters created|
by Charles Addams
|Theme music composer||Danny Elfman|
|Country of origin||United States|
Wednesday (also known as Wednesday Addams in promotion for the series) is an upcoming American comedy horror television series based upon the character Wednesday Addams of The Addams Family. Created by Alfred Gough and Miles Millar, it stars Jenna Ortega in the titular role, with Catherine Zeta-Jones, Luis Guzmán, Isaac Ordonez, and Gwendoline Christie in supporting roles.
A coming-of-age supernatural mystery comedy focusing on Wednesday Addams and her years as a high school student at Nevermore Academy, where she attempts to master her psychic powers, stop a monstrous killing spree of the town citizens, and solve the supernatural mystery that affected her family 25 years ago—all while navigating her new relationships.
Cast and characters
- Jenna Ortega as Wednesday Addams, a gothic teenage girl and the only-daughter of Gomez and Morticia.
- Luis Guzmán as Gomez Addams
- Catherine Zeta-Jones as Morticia Addams
- Riki Lindhome as Dr. Valerie Kinbott
- Jamie McShane as Sheriff Donovan Galpin
- Hunter Doohan as Tyler Galpin
- Georgie Farmer as Ajax Petropolus
- Moosa Mostafa as Eugene Otinger
- Emma Myers as Enid Sinclair
- Naomi J. Ogawa as Yoko Tanaka
- Joy Sunday as Bianca Barclay
- Percy Hynes White as Xavier Thorpe
- Gwendoline Christie as Larissa Weems
- Victor Dorobantu as Thing
- Isaac Ordonez as Pugsley Addams
- George Burcea as Lurch
- Tommie Earl Jenkins as Mayor Walker
- Iman Marson as Lucas Walker
- William Houston as Joseph Crackstone
- Luyanda Unati Lewis-Nyawo as Deputy Santiago
- Oliver Watson as Kent
- Calum Ross as Rowan
- Johnna Dias Watson as Divina
- Murray McArthur as Fabian
- Christina Ricci
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by ||Original release date |
|1||TBA||TBA||Alfred Gough & Miles Millar||November 23, 2022 (2022-11-23)|
|2||TBA||TBA||Alfred Gough & Miles Millar||November 23, 2022 (2022-11-23)|
|3||TBA||TBA||Kayla Alpert||November 23, 2022 (2022-11-23)|
|4||TBA||TBA||Kayla Alpert||November 23, 2022 (2022-11-23)|
|5||TBA||TBA||April Blair||November 23, 2022 (2022-11-23)|
|6||TBA||TBA||April Blair||November 23, 2022 (2022-11-23)|
|7||TBA||TBA||Alfred Gough & Miles Millar and Matt Lambert||November 23, 2022 (2022-11-23)|
|8||TBA||TBA||Alfred Gough & Miles Millar||November 23, 2022 (2022-11-23)|
During pre-production on the 1991 film, Tim Burton was assigned to direct, but ended up passing on it due to scheduling conflicts with Batman Returns, resulting in Barry Sonnenfeld taking the job. In March 2010, it was announced that Illumination Entertainment, in partnership with Universal Pictures, had acquired the underlying rights to the Addams Family drawings. The film was planned to be a stop-motion animated film based on Charles Addams' original drawings. Burton was set to co-write and co-produce the film, with a possibility to direct. In July 2013, it was reported that the film was cancelled.
In October 2020, Wednesday was initially announced as an unnamed Addams Family project being helmed by Burton. The series' production would be handled by MGM Television, with Burton as director. Alfred Gough and Miles Millar would serve as showrunners; while Gough, Millar, and Burton would also be executive producers alongside Gail Berman, Jon Glickman, and Andrew Mittman. In February 2021, Netflix gave the production a series order, consisting of eight episodes. In August 2021, Kayla Alpert was added as an executive producer and 1.21, Tee and Charles Addams Foundation, and Glickmania were also producing the series. In December 2021, it was reported that Danny Elfman joined the series to compose the original theme and score.
On May 19, 2021, Jenna Ortega was cast in the titular role. On August 6, 2021, Luis Guzmán was cast to guest star as Gomez Addams. On August 9, 2021, Catherine Zeta-Jones was cast as Morticia Addams in an undisclosed capacity. On August 27, 2021, it was announced Thora Birch, Riki Lindhome, Jamie McShane, Hunter Doohan, Georgie Farmer, Moosa Mostafa, Emma Myers, Naomi J. Ogawa, Joy Sunday, and Percy Hynes White had been added to the cast as series regulars. On September 15, 2021, Gwendoline Christie and Victor Dorobantu were cast in starring roles while Isaac Ordonez, George Burcea, Tommie Earl Jenkins, Iman Marson, William Houston, Luyanda Unati Lewis-Nyawo, Oliver Watson, Calum Ross, and Johnna Dias Watson were cast in recurring roles. In December 2021, Birch exited the series, leaving the status of her character, dorm mother Tamara Novak, unclear. On March 21, 2022, it was announced Christina Ricci, who played Wednesday Addams in the 1991 film and its 1993 sequel, was cast as a series regular.
- ^ a b c Grobar, Matt (December 16, 2021). "'Wednesday': Danny Elfman To Pen Original Theme & Score For Tim Burton's Netflix Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 16, 2021.
- ^ a b c Lash, Jolie (September 23, 2022). "Tim Burton's 'Wednesday' Netflix Series Gets November Premiere Date". TheWrap. Retrieved September 23, 2022.
- ^ Rose, Michelle. "'Celebrity Dating Game': Zooey Deschanel and Michael Bolton to host ABC game show". TV Passport. Retrieved March 17, 2021.
- ^ "Wednesday (2021-2022)". Writers Guild of America West. August 2, 2022. Retrieved May 8, 2022.
- ^ Breznican, Anthony (August 16, 2022). "Meet the New Addams Family From Tim Burton's Wednesday". Vanity Fair. Retrieved September 25, 2022.
- ^ Bergeson, Samantha (June 6, 2022). "'Wednesday' Teaser: Netflix Reveals Jenna Ortega as the Addams Family Icon". IndieWire. Retrieved June 6, 2022.
- ^ Brew, Simon (September 29, 2014). "The huge behind the scenes problems on The Addams Family". Den of Geek. Dennis Publishing. Archived from the original on April 12, 2019. Retrieved October 24, 2021.
- ^ Fleming, Mike Jr. (March 18, 2010). "Tim Burton's Next 3D Animated Film? Da Da Da Da, Snap Snap: 'The Addams Family'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 17, 2021.
- ^ Fleming, Mike Jr. (August 19, 2010). "Tim Burton Reunites With 'Ed Wood' Scribes For 'Addams Family' And 'Big Eyes'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 17, 2021.
- ^ Debruge, Peter (July 17, 2013). "Illumination Chief Chris Meledandri Lines Up Originals for Universal". Variety. Retrieved February 17, 2021.
At the same time, Illumination has scrapped a Tim Burton-helmed, stop-motion "The Addams Family".
- ^ Kroll, Justin (October 22, 2020). "'Addams Family' Live-Action TV Series From Tim Burton Heats Up TV Marketplace". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 17, 2021.
- ^ Goldberg, Lesley (February 17, 2021). "Wednesday Addams Live-Action Series From Tim Burton Lands at Netflix". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 17, 2021.
- ^ a b Petski, Denise (August 6, 2021). "Wednesday Addams Netflix Series Casts Luis Guzmán As Gomez". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 6, 2021.
- ^ Andreeva, Nellie (May 19, 2021). "Jenna Ortega To Play Lead Wednesday Addams In Netflix's Live-Action Series From Tim Burton". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 19, 2021.
- ^ Del Roasario, Alexandra (August 9, 2021). "Catherine Zeta-Jones Tapped To Play Morticia Addams For Netflix 'Wednesday' Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 9, 2021.
- ^ Petski, Denise (August 27, 2021). "'Wednesday': Thora Birch, Riki Lindhome, Jamie McShane & Hunter Doohan Among 10 Cast In Tim Burton's Addams Family Netflix Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 27, 2021.
- ^ Petski, Denise (September 15, 2021). "'Wednesday': Gwendoline Christie Joins Tim Burton's Addams Family Netflix Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 15, 2021.
- ^ Andreeva, Nellie (December 9, 2021). "'Wednesday': Thora Birch Departs Netflix's Addams Family Series For Personal Reasons". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 9, 2021.
- ^ Andreeva, Nellie (March 21, 2022). "Christina Ricci To Star In Netflix's 'Wednesday' Series In Return To Addams Family Universe". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 21, 2022.
- ^ "Tim Burton's 'Wednesday' Series Officially Begins Filming at Netflix [Exclusive]". Midgard Times. September 13, 2021. Retrieved September 13, 2021.
- ^ "The Addams Family Series 'Wednesday' Officially Wraps Up Filming at Netflix [Exclusive]". Midgard Times. March 30, 2022. Retrieved March 31, 2022.
- The Addams Family (musical)
- Fester's Quest (1989)
- The Addams Family pinball (1991)
- The Addams Family handheld (1991)
- The Addams Family (1993)
- The Addams Family: Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt (1993)
- Addams Family Values (1994)
- The Addams Family Mystery Mansion (2019)
- The Addams Family: An Evilution (2010)